Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:20:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Luke Hollins <lwh@pathcom.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@inpharmatica.co.uk>
Cc:        J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial probs in 4.0

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > I don't know if this will help anyone, but i did 2 things that *might
> > have solved the serial problem on my machine.  I just deleted the cuaa
> > devices and remade them.  My serial port modem ended up on cuaa4,
> > which was strange, but at least it worked.  Then, when i removed
> > everything after sio0 from the kernel config, the modem showed up at
> > cuaa1, where it used to be under 3.4.  I don't know if this is what
> > solved my problem, but it's worth a shot if you are still having
> > problems.  I had the *exact* same thing... it opened under term, and
> > accepted keystrokes, but didn't answer to AT commands.
>
> I saw pretty much the same thing: under 4.0 my PnP modem card ended up as
> /dev/sio4, whereas under 3.4 it had always appeared as /dev/sio2.  The problem
> seems to be that userconfig (ie. boot -c) no-longer understands the 'pnp ...'
> command, so you can't override the PnP configuration of the card any more.  My
> solution was to delete the lines:

	I've tried everyones ideas they've sent me so far (thanks alot) ,
but to no avail. I am only using external modems so I have ruled out a
couple of things, I tried a modem that I know works, and it had the same
problem. I tried serial cards, so I dont think it is my onboard serial
ports problem. It looks alot like not a FreeBSD issue right now, I had
been using 4.0 for a few days when the ports stopped working, and I booted
RELENG_3 and they still didn't work.

If someone could send me the output of stty -a on a working serial port
used with a modem I would greatly appreciate it (14400 is becoming painful
:).......

Thanks

Luke