Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 21:50:35 -0500
From:      Derrick Norris <derrick@norris-net.com>
To:        <ratolandia@netvision.com.br>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Video card

On Wednesday 09 January 2002 08:45 am, ratolandia@netvision.com.br
wrote:
>   I'm looking for a new video card, my current one, a Voodoo3 3500
> works very well on win and X, but isn't supported on the new
> motherboard I've received. (Is there someway to plug a 3.3V AGP
> video card on a 1.5V AGP slot?) What I'm looking for is a good site
> with comparisons and tests of video cards on both win and X? I've
> had a lot of trouble installing my older video cards, mainly a
> diamond I had here.
>   I heard good things about a GeForce2, is someone using this card
> with FreeBSD and X? Good results?

I am using a GeForce 2 MX on my system, and I am in general pleased
with the card.

I have had some problems recently with corruption of the text display
when switching from X back to console, and with X display corruption
when reactivating display after a DPMS suspend, but I don't know
where the problem lies -- upgrading from 4.3 to 4.4 (don't remember
it doing this on 4.3 but it's intermittent so may have just been
luck), the GeForce, something in X 4.1.0, xscreensaver, or what.
It's sometimes infuriating -- on certain occasions when switching
between X and text console, I get hard lockups requiring a reset (box
even stops responding to pings).  But like I said I don't know if the
GeForce is part of the problem -- I'm still experimenting and
researching.

And of course if you want to have another drive in the box holding
Windows for gaming or whatever (which I do), the GeForce is hard to
beat :-).

Hope this helps,
Derrick