Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 02:29:15 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: on the subject of changes to -RELEASEs...

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> > Crap.  Whilst you can, certainly, devise a pathological case to
> > justify your claims, the reality is that the sort of changes mooted
> > will not, on the whole, mandate /etc/ changes, and the proposed
> > service is worthwhile.  Also note that the 'source-diff' plan doesn't
> > have anything to do with /etc.  If you have a beef with Danny's work,
> > take it up with him.
>
> How can this scheme cause Robert Withrow's AMD/NIS "eval" changes
> to /etc/sysconfig and /etc/rc to work on my machine?

Let's qualify "this" here, as you are still lumping the two sets together.

If you are taking your 2.2.1 sources and patching them to -STABLE,
you upgrade /etc/ like anyone else with source does.

If you are applying a binary upgrade set, then perhaps you don't get
it.  You're not losing there, and your system won't mysteriously
explode.  The sceme isn't N-complete, but it's a shitload better
than what we have now, which is _nothing_.

> > The scheme _is_ practical.  You are being part of the problem; please
> > desist 8)
>
> The soloution is known and long-standing, it's just never been
> adopted because of the /var and rc.d changes being "too SysV-like"
> (ie: NIH).

This has nothing particularly to do with the issue at hand, and last
time it was brought up it wasn't NIH but nobody doing it that was the
issue.

> (How can advocating a particular soloution be construed as "being part
>  of the problem"?  It would seem more like "part of the soloution"...)

You are detracting from a practically achievable solution by claiming to
advocate a solution that is not workable within the current constraints.