Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:25:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Memory problem on Dual PIII

Hello,
I have a Dual PIII with 1GB RAM.
I have the following problem which I found out using snortsnarf.
This is my actual memory usage:

Mem: 122M Active, 689M Inact, 120M Wired, 62M Cache, 163M Buf, 514M Free

If I use a high CPU and Memory bound program like snortsnarf or even dd
with a very large file, the Free Memory starts going down and the Active
Memory start increasing. When the Free Memory reaches 0 and the active
memory is around 600MB snortsarf dies with out of memory message but the
WEIRD thing is that the Inactive memory ALWAYS stays at 689MB and it is
NEVER used like if it does not work... so that I have about half of my
total RAM amount which is NEVER used.
This seeems to be a big problem.
anyone has some hint about it ?
thanks