Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:58:38 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>, Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>, Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>, Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> America is in serious need of a lesson in humility and historical
> perspective, though I concede that this is a horrible way to learn
> such a lesson, and I would not wish it upon anyone.

The U.S. doesn't do "humble" when its ire is aroused -- it
does "scortched earth".

All continuing acts of terrorism will do is really, really
make us angry.  You wouldn't like us when we are _truly_
angry.  We do things like "The Manhattan Project", and we
have learned an incredible amount since the end of WW II,
55 years ago; that's over half a century.

Right now, the U.S. is what I'd call "mildly annoyed",
compared to where it could be.  Last night at the BAFUG
user group meeting, we discussed several of the possible
reactions the U.S. might engage in, as a result of being
driven by public opinion.  Nuclear weapon drops on Kabul
are not at all scary in comparison to some of the options.

-- Terry