Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 15:13:30 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel adjustment for clock drift

David Kelly writes:

> See my other posting to this list. I ran xntpd for years on a dialup
> connection. Connected an hour or two or three per day. Xntpd doesn't
> seem to have any problems resuming when the connection resumes.

The machine in question typically connects for around five
minutes at a time, about once per day.  When I attempted to use
xntpd in that scenario a couple of years ago, it would not play.

Perhaps it has been changed since then, but it would surprise me
if it could do much in that sort of window.  (That's why I want
to tune the kernel's timekeeping to better match reality,
because I can then use ntpdate on each connection and all will
be well.)

However, if you think xntpd can now perform adequately even with
such short and widely-spaced connections, perhaps you could say
so.  If so, I might give it another try.

Thanks.

--
Greg Black -- <gjb@acm.org>