Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:57:00 -0700
From:      Jeff Kletsky <Jeff@Wagsky.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, support@tomshardware.com
Subject:   FYI: page faults caused by "speculative read"

While I have not had this problem with several other Pentium systems, in
building 2.2.7-RELEASE from CD-ROM I recently encountered a system that
would not run sysinstall without page faults.  This was apparently caused
by enabling "Speculative Read" in the BIOS.

Abit AB-TX5 (Intel 430TX)
AMD K6-233 at "normal" voltages and clock
64 MB SDRAM (10 ns)

I do not know the hardware cause of this problem; the vendor I use has been
very reliable and supplies better-than-average components.  I have enabled
speculative read on other AB-TX5-based systems (albeit all Intel Pentiums)
without incident, and find the M/B to be very reliable, even at 83 MHz bus
speeds.

In the hopes someone else may be spared gray hairs,

Jeff