Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:53:56 +0100
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Marty Landman <marty@face2interface.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moving /usr

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

Please enter a subject next time -- many people will skip your message
otherwise.

> I've installed 4.8 off CD onto a PII-200 w/ 80MB ram and two ide's, prima=
ry=20
> has 1GB, secondary has 2GB.
>=20
> Don't understand how to allocate /usr to the secondary ide or even give i=
t=20
> more space on the primary, and I run out of room with only 1/4 GB for /us=
r=20
> to install most of the binaries. Would like for starters to allocate both=
=20
> those hd's to FreeBSD and have enough room to install Samba and see if I=
=20
> can then communicate over my LAN.

So, if I understand you right, you have space left on your 2GB hd, and
you would like to move your /usr partition there?

1.) Allocate space on that 2nd hard disk:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html

You can also use /stand/sysinstall for this.

2.) Shutdown to single user mode
3.) Assuming that your new user is mounted on /mnt/usr.new, the
following command will copy everything from /usr there.

# /usr
# tar -cpf - -C /usr . | tar xpvf - -C /mnt/usr.new

Please also refer to the tar(1) man page!

3.) Now edit /etc/fstab and make your new copy the default (the best is
to write the partition of the old /usr on a piece of paper, or keep it
as a comment in /etc/ftab.

4.) Done. Unmount /mnt/usr.new and mount it to /usr. There isn't even a
need to reboot :-)

Simon

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--