Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 2014 18:34:12 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

On 08/13/14 17:37, Thiago Barroso Perrotta wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 15:19:16 -0700
> Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> Thiago,
>>
>> I really liked the blog articles you wrote:
>>
>> http://thiagoperrotta.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/here-be-dragons-freebsd-overview-part-i/
>> http://thiagoperrotta.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/here-be-packages-freebsd-overview-part-ii/
>>
>> and you have very good suggestions.
>>
>> You seem like a very positive person, and are willing to make good
>> suggestions and contributions.
>>
>> We (FreeBSD community) should take your suggestions, because you are
>> a newcomer, so you are seeing things with fresh eyes.
>>
>> I am a bit busy these days, but would you have time to maybe help me
>> write some HOWTO's for
>> FreeBSD, especially things that help people migrate from Linux to
>> FreeBSD?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> Craig
>
> Hi Craig,
> ​​
> Thanks. I guess we can work that out, feel free to e-mail me and tell
> what you have in mind whenever you like.

I love this idea.  I recently moved back to FreeBSD after 14 years on
debian, and was shocked at how great poudriere + pkg is for
maintaining a consistent set of packages for a cluster of systems. (I
know it's pitiful compared to the cloud, but I've got 3 FreeBSD and 3
debian-testing atm, and two of those debians are in danger of forced
religious conversion. :-) The main reason I moved to debian in the
first place is I was working in high user-space and I needed "office"
apps (egads) working consistently and reliably through upgrades, and
the ports system then was not up to the job.  It is now!  Basically,
poudriere + pkg is debian apt-file + apt-cache + apt-get + approx with
the added benefit of site specific, port-specific options.  Maybe like
arch?

So I would be very willing to contribute to this project, if that
makes sense.

Best,
Russell

(what list should this move to? Perhaps ports?)