Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2000 11:35:08 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        Mark J Tomko <mtomko@prime.cs.ohiou.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More Kernel Config, pcm1 vs. pcm0

I believe from everything I have read here that you should leave well
enough alone.

What it boils down to is this; pcm1 is assigned to PCI devices, and
pcm0 is assigned to ISA devices. If you do not have any ISA devices
then of course none will be found.

If you change your kernel config line to device pcm1, then what will
happen is your PCI devices will be assigned to pcm2, and you will get a
message saying no devices found on pcm1.

Since your sound card is coming up pcm1, make sure you build snd1
devices in /etc/dev. cd to /dev and type ./MAKEDEV snd1. This will
assign all the various sound devices to your card. (It will NOT make
anything called 'snd1'. It will take devices such as mixer, dsp, midi
etc. and point them to mixer1, dsp1, midi1 etc. Do 'ls -las' to see
this.).

If you DO have ISA devices, then I guess that will be a different
thread 8-).

On Fri, 03 Mar 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, Mark
J Tomko wrote: > I've been running off a custom kernel for about a
month now- everything > works fine, but I get a warning message when I
boot up that says it > can't find a pcm0 device.

--
Walter Brameld

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.