Date:      Sun, 14 May 2006 03:00:03 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Semi-technical discussion of Remote Access (was "Is there a daemon/program for FreeBSD that accepts Microsoft RDP connections?")

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

    I didn't really look into the technical details behind NoMachineNX
until now, but if anyone considers writing a plugin for RDP to work with
NoMachineNX, they might as well write a separate server daemon for RDP
since it would be more fruitful timewise to do that. Considering that
the NoMachineNX protocol is so intertwined with X11 and SSH (I stress
the later as opposed to the former), the minuses to writing a plugin to
allow a Windows RDP client to connect to a plugin enabled NoMachineNX
server are that maintaining a connection would require an SSH tunnel to
be running with the proper port(s) being forwarded to the server, and
that would lead to unnecessary encryption to between the client <->
server since Windows RDP has built in encryption to prevent data from
being sent clear-text across a network (whereas straight VNC or
non-forwarded-via-SSH X11 does not). Given the fact that an SSH
connection would have to be open would eliminate the Windows crowd that
"Just Likes Stuff to Work on Command With Minimal Effort", and the
solution would be slower and more CPU intensive, which would make such a
scheme less feasible in a corporate environment since the move from a
Windows to a Unix solution is usually to make things run more stable and
have the solution run much longer than it would in a Windows environment.
    Just a semi-technical discussion of the original topic for anyone
else that may consider porting Windows RDP to NoMachineNX to convince
others to choose an alternate path, just to save time.
-Garrett