Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:01:32 +0200
From:      Seth Mos <seth.mos@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Racoon 0.7 on FreeBSD 6 with a lot of VPN tunnels

Hello there,

I have problems with racoon hanging in sbwait state with ipsec-tools 0.6.7
or getting into a tailspin on ipsec-tools 0.7.

The problem is that the pfkey interface breaks down with a lot of VPN
tunnels and spd entries. The FreeBSd PR is here.

I have 390 discrete IPSEC VPN tunnels and endpoints. I have loaded this
all up into one config. I am using pfSense as the platform of choice.
pfSense 1.2-RC2 specifically which is based on FreeBSD 6.2 Stable p7. Note
that I am also a pfSense developer.

At this current time I have exactly 112 IPSEC tunnels active. I am using
3des-sha1 with a 3600 lifetime for phase 1 and aes128-sha1 with a 28800
lifetime for phase2.

On ipsec-tools 0.6.7 I can go by for several days before the racoon
process wedges itself into a hanging sbwait state (0% cpu). On ipsec-tools
0.7 the situation is significantly worse and it starts churning 100% cpu
somewhere every 1-4 hours.

Basically where 0.6.7 was difficult 0.7 has become unworkable.

The hardware in question is a Dell PE860 with 6 gigabit nics (about 2mbps
ipsec traffic at most) with a DualCore Xeon 3050 2.13Ghz. With 1GB ram.

In the pfSense kernel we use this patch.
http://cvs.pfsense.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/tools/patches/RELENG_6_2/socketvar.h.diff
Which helps significantly. Without this patch the situation is the same as
I have described above but will be reached at about 30-40 active tunnels
instead of the 112 I have now.

I really need a reliable solution to this problem.

Kind regards,

Seth Mos
pfSense Developer