Date:      Sat, 08 Apr 2000 16:33:30 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDCon East

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 1:42 AM +0200 2000/4/6, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>
> >                                   If the language in question has
> >  a strong divergence between spelling and pronunciation (English is
> >  pathological in this respect),
>
>         On a side-note, English may be bad at things like this, but my
> experience so far is that French is worse.
>
>         Of course, Welsh is by far the worst I've ever encountered -- if
> you ever hear a Welsh name that you think would result in less than
> twelve characters, you probably aren't adding enough silent vowels
> and consonants.  ;-)

Dai, that's a pretty short name and no silent letters. I'm not sure
Welsh has that many silent letters, its more a case of non-Welsh
speakers not understanding the sounds they make in that language. Then
again, my knowledge of languages, even my own native tongue, is not that
good (my native tongue being Welsh, my English is very good but I can't
speak any other languages).

I think the thing that's difficult about English is its irregularity.
There aren't definitive ways of pronouncing words, there are general
rules but there are lots of exceptions so you have to learn each word
individually. I don't think Welsh is like that, its pretty regular in
its pronunciation; once you know the rules for pronouncing character
combinations then all words adhere to what you'd expect.

If there's a fluent Welsh speaker on this list they can correct me?

Paul.