Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:42:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tracy Camp <campt@thalvors.miralink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux loopback and freebsd disklabels (fwd)

For reasons to boring to long to explain I have need of mounting a freebsd
disk image (created via the dd wonder) under linux and access a specific
partion.  Trouble is I can't see clearly how I can get linux to
understand about the disklabel when using a loopback device.  (I'm just
doing something like : 'losetup /dev/loop0 freebsd.img')  Now I think I
can get around this problem if I pass a offset and length to losetup, the
length I can figure out since I know the size of the partition, but I
don't know exactly how to calculate the initial offset.  Should I just use
the first block of the partition (which appears to be 63, but linux says
'bad magic number' when I tried doing this...)

Advice appreciated.

thanks,

Tracy Camp