Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 06:47:47 +0000
From:      dev.null@funbox.demon.co.uk (do not use this address)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/13644

Jonathon wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> >on the subject of books, has anyone read the O'Reilly
> >Emacs book? ("Learning GNU Emacs", ISBN 1-56592-152-6,
> ><http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/gnu2/>). Is it worth buying? I
>
> Well, from what i have heard and read, this book is supposedly great.
> I was thinking of getting it myself.

I think it's very good rather than 'great'.

IMO, trouble with [X]emacs is that you end up writing quite a bit of
code to customise it, and personally I find other scripting languages
(Perl, TCL, Python) more congenial than [e]lisp.  These days I use
my own editor, written in TCL (expectk, actually).

But I still think that emacs is quite a nifty system...  Were it not
for 'screen', I'd probably still be coding up the odd bit of elisp.

-- Tim Jackson