Date:      Tue, 26 Dec 95 21:31 EST
From:      Will Brown <ewb@zygaena.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   clock accuracy?

Why does the clock on my DTK (ASUS?) PCI P100 running FreeBSD 2.0.5 gain
about 32s per day?  At this rate I need to run ntpdate about every 20
minutes to avoid clock steps (ugh).

I found various postings from various folks on topics such as the
use of freq. synthesizers instead of crystals on newer PeeCee boards,
and the woeful state of the venerable 8254.

Is that the basic issue? Do these PeeCee's really not have a timekeeper
that is even as good as my $25 Timex?

If so, is there a software workaround (eg: hack some timing parameter
in the kernel somewhere?). What about the stability of the primary
timing source on these newer pentium boards? Are they likely to
maintain a consistent clock drift? Can I tweak some parameter
based on the measured drift and expect it to stabilize things?

I also seem to recall seeing some mention of clock drift due to console
messages (or was I hallucinating?).

Sorry if this is a rehash - ptrs to answers appreciated!

--
Will Brown (ewb@zygaena.com)