Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 18:29:27 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Roman Kurakin <rik@cronyx.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/11238, kern/14848, kern/21771, sppp patch's patch_id #1

As Roman Kurakin wrote:

> >You've already got one from me.
> >
> I thought someone else maintains this part of kernel. Was I wrong?

Probably.  At least it was me who wrote larger parts of the current
sppp implementation.  As mentioned, it's very unfortunate that a
number of offspring implementations evolved in the past, mainly in
ISDN4BSD and in NetBSD.  It's still my goal to merge the ISDN4BSD
version completely (there's no need to have two functionally very
similar implementations in our source tree, and i promised this merge
to Hellmuth Michaelis), and my review of NetBSD so far has shown that
they've also fixed a number of bugs (and added some useful features).

Get me right, i wouldn't mind passing this task to someone else :),
but the issue here is that both trees should not be merged as a large
blurb diff, but patches should rather be taken piecewise from their
trees so our CVS history remains clear and the impact can be
overlooked by someone else by just following CVS.  The NetBSD CVS is
now publically available, and i've also got the ISDN4BSD CVS tree
here.

The downside of all this is that it takes a FreeBSD committer to do it
(i expect some two dozens of committs approximately), and someone
who's got quite a bit of time at hand.