Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:01:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        BlackshR@fleishman.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape drive

Greg Lehey wrote,
> DDS and Exabyte are just plain too unreliable, though they're getting
> better.

Greg, is this personal or anecdotal experience? Or can you point to
some references that bear this conclusion out? We use Exabyte a _lot_
here at work and hearing this from you concerns me. Also, when you say
they are unreliable, are you talking about the media (properly written
tapes fail), the transfer (tapes do not get written/read properly), or
the hardware (the drives are in the shop to much)?

> For daily backups, you might consider a small number of large
> IDE drives.  They'll be fractionally more expensive in the short term,
> but cheaper in the long run, and they'll certainly back up faster.

The problem I have with this solution is that it seems that you are
putting all your eggs in one basket. If that backup fails
catastrophically, you lose _all_ your backups at once. Seems that you
would have to backup your backups occasionally. So, you're still stuck
with doing tapes or some other media for the backup^2.

There probably is a procedure to get around this problem (or I may be
seeing a problem where there is not one), what is the prefered
procedure for using IDE drives for backup?