Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 11:22:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nick Hibma <hibma@skylink.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS Question Thanks!!

Yes. NIS is braindead.

The amount of traffic is not that large. The problem you will see is
that it takes longer for a prompt to return due to NIS when the network
is heavily loaded and latencies rise.

When you log in to a Sun box (most often NIS-ified) for example, you
will see that it takes ages. When you switch off NIS in
/etc/nsswitch.conf you get quite a speedup on this for most cases. Apart
from DNS. You will have to replace libresolv.* for getting that without
NIS. :-(

Solution:

Very simple, make every machine a NIS slave server. Works here like a
charm across 6 machines (tiny network, I know). Once in a while a
machine pops to an external one, but that can be solved easily enough by
killing ypbind and restarting it.

I have not looked at either memory or disk usage.

Hope this helps.

Nick

e-Mail: hibma@skylink.it