Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2015 13:20:39 +0200
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Some unresolved but important X.org problems

I have been having problems described below since March of 2014, but did no=
t have much of an option other than to wait for gradual improvements. Consi=
dering that 11 is nearing official RELEASE, I would think these problems wo=
uld be worth consideration. I'm posting in current rather than xorg, becaus=
e if there were many others with these problems, it would have been brought=
 up a long time ago.

PROBLEMS:
1. PDF viewers fail to display pdf/ps files correctly. Many files get displ=
ayed as blank pages, and I can only get the pdf to display after closing/re=
-opening the file several times, or by repeatedly scrolling up/down past th=
e seemingly blank page. Pages with an image have more problems than pages w=
ith text-only.

2. With the exception of Opera (which is out-dated), all remaining Browsers=
 fail to display most web pages in a sane manner (Firefox, Seamonkey, Epiph=
any, Midori). Chrome is the worst because even with just a blank page it fl=
ickers, goes completely white, comes back as a partial image and sometimes =
locks X for 1/2 second or so.
Problems with the other browsers usually have something to do with sites us=
ing php (rather than static content) and I have many problems with images b=
eing correctly displayed. Among the symptoms:
* Page phases out. Mouse-over or scroll up/down resets the display (midori-=
on-linuxquestions.png: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxs_eepbMt6qNTdaQm1=
pTFZTMWM/view?usp=3Dsharing)
* PHP sites either loose track of last scroll point and jump appx one page =
up (example Facebook goes up 4-5 posts to what I just read and repeats acti=
on as I try to scroll down), OR they are only partially displayed and need =
to be either refreshed (F5) or up/down scrolling to get some kind of displa=
y (epiphany-on-forums.freebsd.png: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxs_eep=
bMt6qbFJWMW1RZzJsYVU/view?usp=3Dsharing)
* I get the same problem when trying to view an image, or a site with many =
images. The tab with the image displays one of: a black screen, a single co=
lor with vertical interference lines, or a mixture (seamonkey-google-image-=
search.png: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxs_eepbMt6qUUJvem11U3c3MVk/vi=
ew?usp=3Dsharing)
* As a result of all the above, logging in to sites, doing any transactions=
 which require clicking buttons and check-boxes or filling text fields beco=
mes extremely difficult.

3. In Gnome3, menu text is garbled (gnome3-text.png: https://drive.google.c=
om/file/d/0Bxs_eepbMt6qWklaSUZLd0luUFk/view?usp=3Dsharing)

4. Chromium causes other programs to mis-behave and display gets corrupted =
in the old Win-XP style (chrome-corruption.png: https://drive.google.com/fi=
le/d/0Bxs_eepbMt6qMktnOWo3bV93SGM/view?usp=3Dsharing)

5. An update about a month ago is causing problems with /dev/ums0 on Deskto=
p (not vt). When I move the mouse it sometimes gets stuck on a menu item of=
 a program or an item on the Browser (for example a result in google search=
). I have to move the mouse and repeat the previous action in order to get =
it unstuck. Sticky lasts about 1/5 of a second.

6. Last week I was getting jpeg file corruption when doing simple processin=
g (crop, rotate) in graphics/gthumb. Resulting file would have vertical int=
erference lines. After updating the ports/packages yesterday I don't get th=
at now. Probably unrelated, but worth mentioning.

MY_SYSTEM:
+ Desktop is usually Fluxbox. Free Memory was 5 GB when screen shots were t=
aken (not a low-mem issue).
+ GPU is RS880 [Radeon HD 4250], with loaded modules: drm2.ko, agp.ko, rade=
onkms.ko, radeonkmsfw_RS780_pfp.ko, radeonkmsfw_RS780_me.ko, radeonkmsfw_R6=
00_rlc.ko
+ These already in /etc/sysctl.conf:
#_Enhance shared memory X11 interface
kern.ipc.shmmax=3D67108864
kern.ipc.shmall=3D32768
#_Enhance desktop responsiveness under high CPU use (200/224)
kern.sched.preempt_thresh=3D224
#_chromium_browser_issue
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=3D1

--=20