Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 01:05:57 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD logo...

Doug Barton wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > So, basically, Job's been charged, and he's put on trial over
> > the charges, then acquitted.  Sounds like God's "Attorney General"
> > to me...
>
> Maybe I'm being too literal, but "The President's Attorney General" is
> appointed by the president, to do the president's bidding. In Job, Satan
> is acting on his own behalf, with the same kind of "lawsuit" that you'd
> hear on an elementary school playground. :)  "Yeah, I'm bad, but HE is
> worse."

Actually, that's not quite a correct interpretation; Job 1:8-12
specifically states that involving Job was God's idea, and he
specifically deputizes Satan to act on his behalf (Job 1:12), to
prove the rightiousness of his servant.  In Job 1:16, he even
lets Satan use "The fire of God", as his proxy (and again, in
2:6-7, with the Smiting, and all... goes on for a good 39 more
chapters).

So basically, the President lent Janet Reno BATF troops in order
to test how American a taxpayer was, after swearing out an
executive order making it all nice and legal... and there was a
heck of a lot of collateral damage as a result.  But that's OK,
because the main suspect survived the arrest process in order to
stand trial, remarried, and lived happily ever after.

-- Terry