Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:42:05 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG, ben@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/22043: fstab cache annoyance

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 03:21:05AM -0800, opentrax@email.com wrote:
> >>  > For utilities that rely on fstab (mount, fsck, ...),
> >>  > the lookup in fstab(5) fails until the table is
> >>  > re-read; usually a re-read via reboot.
> >>
> >>  Utilities that read fstab read it themselves, there is no cache in the
> >>  way you imply.  I'm not sure what the problem is.
> >
> > Seconded.  I couldn't duplicate the behaviour described in the PR.
> >
> I can readily reproduce the errors, but perhaps my description
> was not clear enough. I'll review the PR and update it
> if the description is not clear enough.

What I did:

   # grep cdrom2 /etc/fstab
   <no output>
   # mkdir /cdrom2
   # mount /cdrom2
   mount: /cdrom2: unknown special file or file system
   # echo '/dev/acd0c /cdrom2 cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0' >> /etc/fstab
   # mount /cdrom2

At which point the CD was mounted.  I see no caching of /etc/fstab in this
sequence of commands.  If you've got commands that differ, please show an
example in the PR.