Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2016 16:30:58 -0400
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports test system setup

--N62Nb6VLXd1UpXi7H7iXVdUDXl4O3q5Vu
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-ports@freebsd.org

--KxkHE3Sc1RMQr6LSRtUSLuwQKu8jkBSrh

On 08/06/2016 16:16, abi wrote:
> can you give me advice for system to test ports if I want to test ports=

> against 9, 10 and 11 versions and keep my installation compact? 11a +
> poudriere with necessary userlands ? I don't know if 10.3 can drive 11a=

> world.

You can do this fairly easily with poudriere -- just create poudriere
jails of the appropriate versions and CPU architectures.

However there are some limitations:

   * You can build for arch=3Di386 on arch=3Damd64 but not the other way
     round.

   * Your poudriere jails cannot be newer than your host system.  So if
     you want to do test builds on 9.x, 10.x and 11.x, then you're
     going to have to upgrade your machine to 11.x.

Then all you need is a fairly trivial shell script to run 'poudriere
testport' against all the different combinations of OS version and
architecture.

	Cheers

	Matthew