Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 21:55:47 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Bill Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Cellular modem on a Thinkpad

On 19-Nov-99 Bill Woods wrote:
> I have a chance to buy a "cellular kit" from my cell provider, but before
> I do, I want to ask a few questions.
>
> This "kit" is basically a cable that runs from the serial port on a laptop
> to the cell phone. There is some software, but oif course it is windows
> only. I know this is limited information, but this is all I have. I assume
> the cable acts like a modem on a serial port, but does anyone know if
> FreeBSD has any support for anything like this?
>
> William

Is this a GSM cellphone or one the the US standards?

If it's GSM then a lot depends on the model of handset. The GSM 07.x
series of specifications includes a terminal adaptation layer which
presents a Hayes modem like interface to the end user but can hide all
sorts of nasties. So the software you are buying may just be a all of
the stuff to manage a phone book etc. via AT commands, or it may be
a AT command to something funny layer.

I've sort of started playing around with some Tcl and Tk to edit the
phone book etc. on my GSM handset. As the phone book is accessable via
AT commands it should be portable to any phone. I use a Xircom RealPort
and Ericsson GF768.

Duncan

---