Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 14:13:51 -0700
From:      inspector.us@omicnet.com
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DMA

I am using round, 80-wire, ATA-100 IDE cables.  FreeBSD 4.5 release.
dmesg shows

ata0    #ATA 33 (no ATA 66 compliant cable), so both drives on that channel
default to PIO mode.  Do I need to use different cables?  I was under the
impression that default was DMA if possible.

        I suspect the default kernel in FreeBSD, or the configuration
        routines run during setup, are intentionally conservative, to
        accommodate users with older hardware.   There's an "hdparm"
        command in Linux which can be used to reset these values; I'm
        not sure if FB has a counterpart, and I'm at work so I can't
        check, but I expect it does.

Joshua