Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:26:08 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Startup userconfig parsing

>Is the bootloader currently stressed by the current filesystem?  I
>specifically asked about subdirectories when you first mentioned the
>readfile() support, and you scoffed at the intimation that they might
>be a problem.

It's squeezed by the 7.5K limit.

>> >0xmagicnumber, 0xlength,
>> >"rcfile 1 name"
>>
>> Overengineered.
>
>Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  What if I want to throw in, say, the splash screen
>image here.  Am I still overengineering?  How about the initial state
>for the kernel's registry?

The count would be very painful to maintain using ed(1) when you're fixing
a failed config after screwing up the driver for the device containing
/usr...  The splash screen could be just another file to load.  It could
be handled by a bootstrap load command and a bootstrap or kernelconfig
splash command.

>I specifically don't want to require that the "environment"-management
>code know all of the possible consumers of a a variable.  Some may
>provide state, some may be commands; they should be transparent to the
>management code.

ed(1) certainly won't know about what the commands mean :-).

Bruce