Date:      Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:00:54 +0200
From:      Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
To:        "Franklin E. Powers, Jr." <dominarvis@dominarvis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Having Some Trouble with Java on FreeBSD

Hi,

O.k., people please correct me if I'm wrong but...

> I've been having a small amount of trouble with running Java on FreeBSD
> (version 5.4 for amd64) and I was hoping that someone would be kind
> enough to help me out.
>
> I manually installed the linux version of Java.  Which seemed to work
> alright

[...]

> So...  Then I went through the documentation for FreeBSD some more and
> decided to start over by reinstalling the Linux Java using:
>     cd /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk15
>     make install clean
>
> But now I get the following error: linux-sun-jdk-1.5.0.01,2 does not run
> (core dumps: Bad System Call).  Note that previously I manually
> installed it by simply downloading the Linux version on another
> computer, transfering it over to the computer, and executing the file.

I *think* I've heard/read that the AMD64 version of FreeBSD doesn't
feature 'Linux compatibility'. Perhaps that's where your issues come
from. No idea why a binary distribution of a Linux version would have
worked, but perhaps that was just coincidence?!?

Either way, please don't come down too hard on me if I'm way off base
here; as the above is purely based on hearsay and my own speculation...

Cheers!
Olafo