Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:01:09 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Soso Lolex <sosobsd@email.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: : Re: FreeBSD 4.5 instalation failure

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Soso Lolex wrote:

> > > okay, here are more deails:
> > >
> > > I have one disk (Western digital 6.4 Gb) on which i had before
> > > installed FreeBSD 4.5 , 256Mb memory, Duron 700 Mhz; So, when I
> > > tried to install FreeBSD 4.5 I had one DOS partition (FAT32/Win2k)
> > > and I also created a BSD partition 2.8 Gb (/), and a swap
> > > partition of about 150 Mb.  It is not possible to run out of disk
> > > space because after some failed installations I choose to instal
> > > only "user" packages, without development packages or X packages,
> > > and the installation process still failed the same.
> > >
> > > So, I personally give up, I simply dont see what is wrong.
> >
> > Nah, don't give up so easily :)
> >
> > What is the *exact* error message you're seeing?
>
> Hmm, I dont remember the *exact* error message but I know that was
> related with /bin directory, something like it cannot copy or
> install /bin from CD (or hardisk if I tried to install it from DOS
> partition) and the error message came up when progress bar was at
> 100%, and all other directories were installed well.
>
> It is possibly that my image is broken...

You can always try to "test" if the install script of bin/ would
succeed or fail by running manually the commands that sysinstall would
use to install this package.

* Note: Be careful to NOT miss something from the commands shown below
        or you might mess your already installed FreeBSD system.

If you have another FreeBSD system installed nearby, grab the cdrom
you used for installing, and do the following:

1. Mount the installation cdrom somewhere.  For instance:

	# mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /mnt/cdrom

2. Make sure you have a bit of free space, to test the bin package
   extraction.  You can get an approximate measure of the required
   space with:

	# du -sk /mnt/cdrom/bin

3. Make a temporary directory where you will test the extraction
   process.  Let's say for example, /var/tmp/test will be the place.

4. Change into /mnt/cdrom/bin and run install.sh with DESTDIR of your
   environment pointing to the /var/tmp/test directory.

	# cd /mnt/cdrom/bin
	# env DESTDIR=/var/tmp/test sh install.sh

   !!! IMPORTANT NOTE !!!

   DO NOT FORGET TO SET EDTDIR=/var/tmp/test OR THE INSTALLATION
   SCRIPT WILL OVERWRITE FILES UNDER /.

If that completes normally, then you know that the files on the cdrom
are OK, and something else is wrong.  If that breaks before
completing, then at least you'll know why it failed, and the error
message will probably reveal part of the problem.

- Giorgos