Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:15:56 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        Sean Michael Whipkey <highway@cstone.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 3.x to 4.1

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 05:35:46PM -0400, Sean Michael Whipkey wrote:
> Okay,
>
> This is the first time I've tried upgrading to a new branch on a FreeBSD
> box.  I'll be trying it first on our development machine, and if it
> works, doing it on our production machine to try to fix our problems
> with MySQL hogging 90+% of the CPU for a few minutes at a time.
>
> So here's what I have written down to do so far:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> # build/install kernel
> make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
> make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
> # back to upgrade
> cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
> make install
> # rebuild disks in /dev
> cp src/etc/MAKEDEV /dev/MAKEDEV
> #PSUEDOcode: for N in the list of disks
> #MAKEDEV N
> # for M in the list of slices
> #MADEDEV NsMa
> reboot # into single user
> cd /usr/src
> cd gnu/usr.bin/texinfo/install-info
> make install
> cd ../../../..
> ldconfig -R /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> reboot
>
> I've already used cvsupit to update my sources.
>
> Anything wrong?  Different?  Right?

	Looks pretty good.  I'm in the process of moving my main
	home system from 3.2 to 4.1-STABLE.

	You probably ought to be tracking the -stable list if
	you are going to use the STABLE branch.  Also suggest that
	you get the very latest cvsup patches that were just
	released this morning (31aug00).

	Note that for MYKERNEL above, it is probably wise to
	use the GENERIC kernel template rather than your own or old
	kernel file.  You will need to alter GENERIC to suit your
	taste once things are working.

	gary