Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:39:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-picobsd@freebsd.org
Subject:   PICOBSD /dev/mdxx memory disk problems

Dear Sirs.

I use FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT on several experimental systems. I try to test
new diskless and picobsd facilities and abilities of the newest FBSD
5.0-CURRENT stuff and I am a little bit disappointed.

First there is a little bug in the picobsd shell-script/command:

newfs does no longer support option '-p', so this runs into a failure.

When buidling a picobsd image I get this error:

---snap

*** init_fs_image()
/usr/src/release/picobsd/build_dir-bastion/fs.PICOBSD 8192

*** Labeling MFS image

*** Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/md1c       7983    0  7983     0%    /var/tmp/picobsd.S98gZK4mQz

*** Copy mfs tree into file

*** Status of mfs image
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/md1c       7983 1458  6525    18%      81  1069    7%
/var/tmp/picobsd.S98gZK4mQz
fsck: exec /usr/sbin/fsck_4.2BSD for /dev/md1c: No such file or
directory
Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.

--- snap

The last warning is due to several special mkisofs options that are not
conform. Important is the failure of building the MFS filesystem.
It seems that /dev/md1c is really present, but when fsck tries to check
it, it gets an error.

I have a similar error on diskless boot process in FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT,
where obviously no memory disk can be created.
Can someon verify or falsify these oberservations?

Thanks a lot ...

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
Systemadministration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)