Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:03:43 +0800
From:      Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        johnryan_852@iprimus.com.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soekris Net4801 performance

On 03/30/06 09:28 Mike Tancsa said the following:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:19:25 +0200, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
> you wrote:
>>ftp put is around 3Mbytes/sec and ftp get is around 2Mbytes/sec
>>ifconfig says:

> They are not the fastest around, but it depends what you want to do
> with them. On an older 4501, I get about 7Mb.  You should be able to
> get that at least.

m0n0wall, a freebsd based router/firewall project is built for both the
soekris net45xx and net48xx boxes. m0n0wall 1.2 is based on freebsd 4.x and
m0n0wall 1.3 (which i'm currently maintaining) is based on freebsd 6.x.
we've seen clear degradation of network throughput between m0n0 1.2 and
1.3. we usually use iperf for throughput testing with the m0n0wall sitting
in between. search the m0n0wall lists for past throughput comparisons.

[1] http://m0n0.ch/wall/