Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:06:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <up@3.am>
To:        Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Good dual port NICs?

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Greg Panula wrote:

> Kal Torak wrote:
> >
> > Barry Irwin wrote:
> > > Not Dual port, but I have been using the quad port dlink 570-TX cards for
> > > quite a while with no hastles.
> >

> I was unable to get dlink's quad port 570TX card to work properly in an
> SMP kernel.  The card worked fine in single cpu mode.  The box I was
> using was a compaq DL360 and the code was freebsd-stable 4.4.  I got
> watchdog timeouts if I remember correctly.  A search thru -stable list
> should turn up my problems.
>
> The card & box worked fine with linux (kernel 2.2.x) both with and
> without SMP enabled.
>
> So, I'm not sure if it was an interupt thing or APIC thing with freebsd
> or just a general user head-space problem on my part.

Interesting, I had the *exact* same problem with an SMP kernel built on
4.6RC-1 with a Tyan Tiger's on-board 3C920c (3C905c driver).  It never
occured to me that it might be linked to SMP in any way, so I just
returned it and used an Intel L440GX.  May not be anywhere near as fast,
but they always work...

up@3.am							    http://3.am