Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:42:30 -0500
From:      Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Reading a Video CD from a DVD drive on 7.0

On Apr 12, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Roland Smith wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 01:32:22AM -0500, Joshua Isom wrote:
>
> I haven't. DVD's work fine here with mplayer on amd64.

Same here, and vcd's playing out of the cd drive.

> When trying to play a vcd in mplayer I just get a CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE
> error.

I get no errors at all actually.

> There are tools in ports to rip a VCD. See multimedia/vcdimager.
>
> For wayward devices to can try using cdcontrol(1) or atacontrol(8).
>
> Roland

After some further testing, a vcd in the dvd drive will have the same
problem during booting the kernel(before init).  After killing the
system and rebooting without the disc, trying to play the disc causes
messages like this repeatedly.  I tried running "cdcontrol -f /dev/acd1
eject" and it hung.  I tried "atacontrol reinit ata3" and "atacontrol
detach ata3" and those hung as well.  It's an sata dvd-rw drive over
atapi.  Here's the error being reported by the kernel.

acd1: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (1 retry left)
acd1: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (0 retries left)
acd1: FAILURE - READ_BIG timed out

Mplayer just triggers the problem.  I imagine if I ran amd I'd have the
same type of problem, or any program that tried to read from acd1.
Other than locking up tty's and not being able to shut down, the
system's still usable, aside from the disc inserted during boot of
course.