Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:27:40 -0500
From:      "Mike Grommet" <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problems with server, stops responding to incoming traffic.

Hi guys... we are setting up a small isp downstream from us using
freebsd 2.2.6.... unfortunately we are having a heck of a time getting the
two telco companies to cooperate and the line quality between our building
and the provider frankly sucks... we are connected point to point with cisco
2500's with csu/dsu cards
and we can communicate between our site and his server, but the digital line
apparently has some problems and we are getting a lot of crc errors...

The problem is that his server stops responding to telnets on port 23 after
a long while,the pop3 server dies, and I get messages to console  and to
/var/log/messages

messages:Jun 11 02:02:43 ns /kernel: pid 757 (inetd), uid 0: exited on
signal 11
messages:Jun 11 02:02:43 ns /kernel: pid 758 (inetd), uid 0: exited on
signal 11
messages:Jun 11 02:02:43 ns /kernel: pid 759 (inetd), uid 0: exited on
signal 11
messages:Jun 11 02:02:43 ns /kernel: pid 760 (inetd), uid 0: exited on
signal 11
messages:Jun 11 02:02:43 ns /kernel: pid 761 (inetd), uid 0: exited on
signal 11
messages:Jun 11 02:02:43 ns /kernel: pid 762 (inetd), uid 0: exited on
signal 11
messages:Jun 11 02:02:43 ns /kernel: pid 763 (inetd), uid 0: exited on
signal 11

at approximately the same time every night, but happens at other times too.

I can ping the machine, telnet into port 25 and apache still respoinds.  I'm
pretty sure this is related to our router difficulties but I'm not sure how,
or what to change.
I'm not really sure why inetd would be crapping out due to the crc errors on
the router.  Help please?

Mike Grommet
System Admin, and all around nice guy
Internet Solutions, Inc.