Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 2001 19:48:53 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@bsdclub.org>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple $FreeBSD$ lines in sgml files

Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@bsdclub.org> writes:
> Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> wrote:
> > Half of the files under www/ have two $FreeBSD$ lines; one is used to
> > define the 'date' entity, and one is in a comment.  The second one
> > really isn't necessary; it's just another line that changes when
> > someone commits to the file.  Any reason not to remove them?
>
> Please see the commit logs of www/en/applications.sgml rev 1.15.
>
> commit logs:
> --------
> $Id$,$Date$ -> $FreeBSD$
> The jury is out on $Date$, but it's presently not being expanded..
> --------
>

> I think we should use $Date$ instead of $FreeBSD$ in 'date' entity
> if the problem ($Date$ not being expanded) has been solved.

I don't think $Date$ is being expanded, and it isn't a problem per se;
it's quite intentional.  The point is so that contributed sources with
'$Date$' in them maintain *their* revision date, not ours.  Using
$Date$ still won't fix the condition I'm trying to solve; namely,
multiple RCS keywords in a file.