Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 10:42:37 -0400
From:      Tom Hamman <hawk3@gate.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with PPP

Hi, I recently installed FreeBSD in an attempt to get away from DOS/Windows
and learn something new (UNIX).  I'm having trouble using my PPP account though.

I followed the steps in the FreeBSD Handbook to configure the right files
(/etc/ppp/ppp.conf, /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/host.conf,
and /etc/hosts) correctly for a PPP account that assigns variable IP
addresses, and I can connect fine (I tried connecting both with the script
in ppp.conf and manually by using the term command and dialing my ISP), but
after I connect nothing seems to work.  I try FTPing to something and it
says 'Host Unknown' or I try pinging something and it says 'No route to
host', etc.  I've already looked through the FAQ and Handbook and fiddled
with my configuration files a lot, but I still can't get it to work.  Any
help would be appreciated.

(It DID work fine, BTW, when I used the installation disk to install FreeBSD
over FTP.)

-Tom