Date:      04 May 2001 00:36:44 +0300
From:      Jussi Reissell <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
To:        Rick Duvall <maillist@coastsight.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootable CD IV

Rick Duvall <maillist@coastsight.com> writes:

> So, let me get this straight:  To make a bootable CD, you need to:
>
> [ snipped ]

/usr/src/release/Makefile has this nice picture of the setup:

# +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
# |boot.flp                                                                |
# +-----+-----+------------------------------------------------------------+
# |boot1|boot2|floppy filesystem "bootfd"                                  |
# +-----+-----+-+--------------------------------------------------------+-+
#               |kernel                                                  |
#               +------------+-----------------------------------------+-+
#                            |mfs filesystem "mfsfd"                   |
#                            +-----------------------------------------+

What you need is to make the kernel be able to both incorporate the mfs
filesystem and then make it /. Grep LINT for MFS. Or MD or malloc
disk ...

Then craft the mfsfd - you already have some of the correct steps - and
zot it into the kernel. There's a write_mfs_in_kernel.c in
/usr/src/release for this purpose. Check also the .../release/scripts
directory. You have to go through the vnconfig routine twice: once for
the boot.flp and then to create the mfsfd.

What you put in your "mfsfd" and how you link that with the contents
of the rest of your CD is up to you. There's probably several
approaches you can take ... I chose to craft links from the "mfsfd" to
the rest of the ISO at /etc/rc-time. I'll do some experimenting with
this some time ...

Sorry, can't be much more specific than that, I have the stuff on a
SCSI disk and my controller has been on it's way to the manufacturer
for quite some time now :(