Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      peter lageotakes <plageotakes@yahoo.com>
To:        Paul Cocker <paul.cocker@fph-tr.nhs.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: whereis fails

I am not 100 percent sure but if memory serves; the
man pages are a port by themselves (for xfree), at
which point they get installed separately.  Those
ports should be on disc 1.  You can use
/stand/sysintall to get back into those ports.

My second thought is building/rebuilding the locate
database.

The files are located here:

/var/db/locate.database	      locate database
/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb     Script to update the
locate database
/etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate  Script that starts
the database rebuild

More info can be found by checking the man page.

I hope this helps
Pete