Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:32:28 +0000
From:      Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone running Plesk ... ?

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> I run a web hosting company, and one of the most often asked question is
> whether we have a control panel, to which we generally say no ... recently, a
> new client signed up and looked to install Plesk on his VPS, but has been
> unable to get it to work ...
>
> Being curious myself, I've downloaded both 8.2.1 and 8.1.1, and find that
> neither of them appear to install properly, but I can't seem to find any
> reasons *why* ... for instance, 8.1.1 just finished installing with:
>
> Installation done.
> Notice: make.conf was restored from previous autoinstaller's backup.
>
> But there is no /usr/local/etc/rc.d/psa.sh to stop / start the server, and no
> psa-* related ports installed ... as if it installed all the dependencies, but
> not the components themselves ...
>
> If I try and go into /usr/ports/swsoft/psa and do 'make install', it fails as
> the installer installed both apache2.0 and apache2.2, causing a conflict ...
>
> I have tried both 8.2.1 and 8.1.1, and get the same results ...
>
> One response I got on the -isp list was to pay Plesk to install it, so I
> figured I'd range out a bit onto -questions and see if anyone has been able to
> successfully install Plesk *without* deferring it to SWSoft themselves to do it
> ... ?

Only ever done this on linux (we do a lot of linux hosting with plesk at
work,) we dont use SWSofts install if at all possible as its flaky as
anything. Although its all been pretty much automated now and i dont
have to touch it much, from what I remember we install the prerequisites
manually (well via yum but not using their installer,) then we go
through the needed components and install them individually. SWSofts
installer and updater used to break things on a regular basis. If I get
a sec I'll have a quick look at the FreeBSD version.

Vince