Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 23:23:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/isa ida.c

Hi,

   I'm moving this to -current from -cvs which I beleive is more
appropriate...

>> Is this a driver for a RAID controller or something else?  I'm just
>> curious because on the Compaq servers I have there are some disk
>> status lights (disk OK/online/failure, etc) on each individual
>> hot-swap disk that operate under NT, but not under FreeBSD.  Does this
>> driver control that hardware monitoring feature on these servers
>> (S.M.A.R.T. I would assume)?
>
>There is a standard for ``SCSI-Attached Fault-Tolerant Enclosures''
>(SAF-TE) which is implemented by some vendors.  If an unknown
>processor target shows up in your SCSI probe list, that's probably
>what you have.  I have several machines with two of them:
>
>pt0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
>pt0: <ESG-SHV SCA HSBP M2 0.14> Fixed Processor SCSI-2 device
>pt0: 3.300MB/s transfers
>pt1 at ahc1 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
>pt1: <ESG-SHV SCA HSBP M2 0.14> Fixed Processor SCSI-2 device
>pt1: 3.300MB/s transfers
>
>The way you recognize and talk to them is defined in a Microslop Word
>document which you can find floating about under the name
>`saftespec.zip'.

   I have/use Dell enclosures. These show-up at boot-time as:

pass6 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
pass6: <DELL 8UWS BACKPLANE 5> Fixed Processor SCSI-2 device
pass6: 3.300MB/s transfers

   I was thinking about how I could talk to this unit so I
could write a daemon to monitor all the drives for failures.
If a drive fails, I'd like to automatically (somehow) swap to
the spare drive and reconstruct. This sounds like a vinum
subject (which I have not looked into at all yet).

   Has anyone actually worked on something like this?

Thanks!
John