Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 14:43:59 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        Scott Bogert <scott.bogert@usa.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am confused.

On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 09:21:20AM -0400, jack wrote:
> > If i knew what files to download to my windows HDD (I wish to install
> > FreeBDS on my second HDD) then i would be happy to do that.
>
> That's the hard way.  It WILL dial your ISP and allow you to grab
> everything you need.

I respectfully disagree. If you're installing on a second hard disk, it's
a good idea to download the files you need (bin.* and whatever else you
want) to the first HD (assuming it's got a DOS filesystem on it).

I've had installs where the power's gone out, or media errors have occured,
or other events have transpired, and I've had to stop the "download as it
installs" half way through. Of course, the files that you've already
downloaded are either not saved anywhere, or if they are available
(assuming you've got that far) you need to be pretty confident with your
repair skills to make them usable.

This can be quite disheartening when you realise you've got to redownload
most of 30MB or however much it was.

Having the installation files locally, even if only for a short time,
guards against this and allows you (if you want) to rerun the install
several times, learning more as you go, until you get an install you're
happy with.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?