Date:               Mon, 15 Apr 1996 17:03:04 MST
From:      "ALLAN DAVID P." <DAVID.ALLAN@Probono.law.utah.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         colormaps & color planes in X-windows

Several of my X-applications (netscape, can't create colormap then
runs; xgalaga, can't allocate 7 planes, can't create colormap, dies)
complain that they cannot allocate any or enough color planes or
create colormaps, sometimes when first run, in which case they
usually die, or during running, in which case they usually continue
running.
    My system is 8Meg Ram/170Mb IDE disk w/20Mb set aside for swap
space running the VGA 16 color X server.  I suspect the 16 color
server is the problem, but I can't find any documentation that will
tell me for sure, or better yet, how to make my apps run.  If anyone
has any suggestions, or can confirm that I need to get a better video
card and run the SVGA server, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dave Allan