Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2007 15:39:00 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <mario.lobo@ipad.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what cpu type to use for a intel duo e6850 (i386 or amd64)

On Friday 05 October 2007, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> mario.lobo@ipad.com.br wrote:
> > So, I did an SMP/i386 install. I cannot say I regret it since everything
> > runs absolutely smooth and fast here.
> >
> > On the tecnical side (not practical) was it correct to give up 64 bit
> > processing?
>
> This is a question to which there is no simple answer, other than
> 'It depends.'
>
> What it depends on are such things as:
>
>    * software compatibility with 32 or 64 bit system
>
>    * what application load you require
>
>    * how large the disk and memory structures you're dealing with are
>
>    * how much RAM you have
>
> You'll find that programs like databases that have to do large
> amounts of IO benefit greatly from being on a 64bit system,
> especially if that system is fully populated with memory and disks.
>
> On the other hand, really compute-intensive programs can often gain
> on a 32bit system by virtue of being able to fit more 32bit sized
> objects into cache RAM.
>
> Desktops tend to be run at 32bit because of software compatibility
> problems.  Machines with Nvidia graphics cards need to be 32bit in
> order to use the Nvidia accelerated graphics driver.
>
> As it is, for your server it seems that you have achieved that happy
> performance level of "fast enough."  Anything else is just gravy.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

I have both types running (dual-core servers as 64 and dual-core desktops at
32).

I was just curious as to what would happen if the roles were reversed. You
sure cleared that up

Thanks for the confirmation !
   //| //|         Mario Lobo
  // |// |         http://www.ipad.com.br
 //  //  |||||||  FreeBSD since 2.2.8 - 100% Rwindows-free