Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:44:54 +0100
From:      Lars Stokholm <lars.stokholm@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
Subject:   Re: Wireless NIC recommendation

John Nielsen wrote:
> On Monday 15 January 2007 13:44, John Nielsen wrote:
>
>> On Monday 15 January 2007 12:54, Lars Stokholm wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I hope someone can help me with this, before I go mad (no pun
>>> intended.) :)
>>>
>>> I was initially looking for a relatively cheap 54Mbps, 802.11g- and
>>> WPA-capable network card, based on an Atheros chipset, but after
>>> spending the whole of last night looking for one - to no avail - I gave
>>> up.
>>>
>>> I'm almost about to conclude that Atheros is not the way to go. So now I
>>> want to know, if anyone can recommend ANY card, being cheap and
>>> supporting the features mentioned above. I don't mind using NDIS, as
>>> long as it works flawlessly. Also it would be good, if the card was a
>>> popular one, so community support is more available.
>>>
>> For driver support in FreeBSD, Atheros is definitely the way to go. Have
>> you looked through the listings here?
>>
>> http://customerproducts.atheros.com/customerproducts/default.asp
>>
>> Also, you failed to mention what your definition of "cheap" is, and what
>> form factor you're looking for (PCI, Cardbus, etc.) I would start with the
>> listings at the link above and look through products from the
>> cheaper-but-popular brands (D-Link, Belkin, Netgear, Linksys) to see if
>> there are any you can currently buy within your price range.
I can't really say what cheap is, just that it's in the low(er) end of
the scale. I only have a rough sense of the price levels in Denmark and
I certainly know nothing about them in the US. :)

The listing above it good, but I like this better, since it also warns
about different versions of the card:
http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility

This is the list I went through last night:
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_chipset.php?chipset=Atheros

But one-by-one I threw them all away.
>> The Netgear WG311T seems like a widely available decent bet for ~$50 USD.

In the data sheet it says: "Upgradable to Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA)
security." I wonder what that means.

Also there are many versions of the card: WG311TIS, WG311TFS, WG311TGE,
WG311TNE and so on. After having already spend money on a card that
didn't work, because only rev. ? of the card used Atheros, I'm being
very cautious.