Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:35:16 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@nebula.tbe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Avery Labels in FreeBSD?

> Other than Applix, WP, or StarOffice, does anyone know of a nice simple
> program for printing Avery labels, 8.5" x 11" sheets, Postscript
> printer? If I can find a solution (no budget) then I can free that
> precious 1G occupied by NT 4.0 and Office97.
>
> The current solution uses a template or something in Word. The operator
> types the appropriate label in whatever box(s). Copy/paste to duplicate.
> Then runs the sheet thru the printer. Don't always print full sheets so
> sometimes a sheet goes thru the printer several times before its filled.
>
> The point is to neatly get lots of info on a sticker rather than write
> it sloppily by hand.

It's not clear to me if you're looking for something that just
acts like a smart typewriter with standard courier output or if
you're looking for typeset quality (proportional fonts, filling,
justification, etc).

If it's the former, it's a trivial shell script of the kind you
might give a sysadmin job applicant to see if s/he knew which way
was up.  If the latter, it might involve learning PostScript or
groff or TeX -- but it's also trivial with any of these tools.

Generally speaking, these things are so trivial that nobody does
them in a sufficiently general way to be really useful to
another site, which means that everybody rolls their own idea of
the solution.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>