Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:16:05 +0100
From:      "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.nl>
To:        Chad David <davidc@guild.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stange console problem

>If I copy GENERIC to DEBUG and recompile the kernel it will not
>boot properly.... copy the file back to GENERIC and everything
>seems fine?
>
>I have searched the archives and read UPDATING, but nothing jumps
>out at me.
>
>Does anybody have any idea where I could look next?
>
>Chad
>
>On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 10:16:02PM -0700, Chad David wrote:
> > On a current from last Sunday I recompiled
> > a new kernel with just makeoptions DEBUG=-g
> > and options DDB added to  GENERIC and when
> > I boot I see the first few spins of the loader
> > booting the kernel and then all video output stops.
> > After the boot finishs I get a login prompt but no
> > keyboard response or video after that.

Have you tried removing the 'makeoptions' line and using 'config -g
<KERNCONF>' instead?
That's how I build my debug kernels, and that worked fine last time I did
it (last week or so).

Also, when you copy the GENERIC file to another name, do you update the
ident line?
This should normally not matter but you never know with debugging kernels.

In both cases you would need to examine the config utility.

         DocWilco