Date:      Fri, 08 May 1998 09:29:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Slyce <slyce@onramp.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   RE: RE: StarOffice 4.0 for Linux under FreeBSD...

On 07-May-98 Slyce wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 1998, Slyce wrote:
>>>Weight  555
>>>to your Depth 16 section of XF86Config, then restart your server.
> That seems to work fine... What is the function of Weight 555, though???

It's the colorweighting for the bit-depth your X-server is running with.
So Weight 555 means
5 bits for red
5 bits for green
5 bits for blue

Weight 564 would give you
5 bits for red
6 bits for green
4 bits for blue

.. when running with 15 bpp (bits per plane)
Since the perception of the human eye for blue shades is very low, you
probably won't "waste" restricted resources (bit-planes) on blue-shades and
instead use as much planes as possible for red and green. So a weighting
of 564 or 654 for 15 bpp would give you best results.

BTW ... how is the subject-line related to this stuff ?

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>