Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:59:27 -0800
From:      patrick gibson <freebsd@patrickg.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Console Messages Remotely

I like how when I su to root in FreeBSD, I get the console messages to my
virtual tty. I have one server, though, where these messages are not being
displayed. I haven't changed anything of which that I'm aware that would
cause this, and my /etc/syslog.conf file seems okay:

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console

When I login remotely, and become root, I would like authentication errors
and such to display on my terminal. I seem to remember once seeing an option
that asked me if I wanted /dev/console to be redirected to any root tty, but
for the life of me, I can't seem to locate where this option is. Does anyone
know how I can (re-)activate this?

I'm running 4.6.2, by the way.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick