Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 15:27:24 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Ray Kohler <ataraxia@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling with high optimization?

Thus spake Ray Kohler <ataraxia@cox.net>:
> Has anyone tried building world/kernel with high optimizations (-O2,
> -O3) recently? What breaks? (Booby prize to whoever says "common sense"
> ;) I last tried it quite a few months ago and the resolver died on me,
> don't know what else. I'm not really thinking of running like that, but
> I am curious about others' experiences.

First, let me answer the question that you really meant to ask but
forgot to, namely, ``How much of a performance difference does -O3
make over -O for the kernel/world?''  The answer is ``very little,
for most purposes.''  So if you do use higher optimization levels,
at least do a little benchmarking to make sure it was worth it.
To answer your second question, higher optimization levels usually
work, but there *will* be new bugs.  I know of several libc
problems due to -fstrict-aliasing, and I'm told that the inline
assembly for TCP checksumming can still break.