Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:24:59 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        angelaoyu@eol.ca
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upgrade freebsd from 4.0

--3lcZGd9BuhuYXNfi

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 10:31:54PM -0400, angelaoyu@eol.ca wrote:
> Dear all
>=20
> I visit  to the website http://mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/
> and would like to upgrade freebsd
> Can I upgrade it remotely?
>=20
> But the website introduces to use single user.
> How do I do it?
>=20
There are several problems you'll hit when trying to upgrade
from 4.0:

I haven't yet merged the fixes to unbreak the 4.0 -> RELENG_4
upgrade path due to the __FBSDID() macro introduction.

Also, there are several problems with the installworld phase.
In particular, ELF branding was changed between 4.0 and 4.1.
Unless you know what you are doing, I'd strongly recommend
to upgrade to 4.1-RELEASE first, then jump up to the latest
4.X-STABLE available.

Hopefully I can find some spare time in the near future to
fix the most serious bug in our install(1) program that
makes source upgrades from 4.0 rather impossible without
special hacking.  Search mailing list archives for more
details on upgrading from 4.0 to 4.x.  I recently provided
the detailed instructions with explanations.

Again, I would not recommend to do it remotely.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,